8 Dangerous Foods Dogs Should Never Eat
Part of being a responsible pet owner is feeding them a balanced, nutritional diet. It also means avoiding certain foods. While most dog owners know the big food no-no’s, a few dangerous or toxic foods might surprise you. Here are some foods that you should never feed your dog!
Xylitol is a sugar-free sweetener found in many common foods such as candy, gum, toothpaste, baked goods, and many diet foods. It’s pretty dangerous for dogs, which is why you should keep most sweet things away from them. It can cause your dog’s blood sugar to drop, resulting in seizures, and also cause liver failure.
Alcohol actually has the same effect on a dog’s liver and brain as a human, but it takes a lot less to hurt them than us. Just a small amount of alcohol can be bad for them. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, breathing problems, and even death. Make sure you keep all adult beverages away from your pups.
Onion and Garlic
Onion and garlic are staples in cooking, but they shouldn’t be consumed by dogs. Whether it’s raw, cooked, or dehydrated, onions and garlic can spell bad news for your pet. It can kill their red blood cells, causing anemia. Large doses can also cause poisoning. If your dog accidentally ingests some, be on the lookout for weakness, vomiting, and breathing problems.
A cup of coffee or tea might be what you need to start your day but keep the caffeine away from the canines. Caffeine can be found in coffee, teas, colas, energy drinks, chocolate, and more. It can be deadly for dogs to consume, resulting in raised blood pressure and cardiac arrhythmias. If you think your pet has consumed any you should consult a vet.
Grapes and raisins might be a tasty treat for us, but not for our four-legged friends. Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. Even just small amounts can make them sick. Vomiting is an easy sign, but dogs can also become sluggish and depressed.
Dogs aren’t so nuts about nuts. Macadamia nuts, or foods with them, aren’t good for dogs to consume. It takes just six macadamia nuts to make a dog sick. Symptoms include shakes, vomiting, fever, and weakness. Consuming it with chocolate can make symptoms even worse and even result in death.
This is probably the most well-known dangerous food for dogs, but do you know why? All types of chocolate, including white chocolate, contain theobromine. This can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. In larger doses, it can also cause heart problems, tremors, seizures, and even death.
Stone fruit, such as permissions, peaches, and plums, can cause issues for dogs due to the seeds. The large pits and seeds can cause blockages in a dog’s digestive tracts. These pits also have cyanide, which is poisonous to both people and dogs.
Before feeding your dog a new food, it’s always a good idea to research whether they can eat it or not. If your dog gets into the trash or pantry and consumes something you’re not sure about, consult your vet and keep a close eye on them. It can sometimes take a few hours for symptoms to begin to appear.