8 Pretty Flowers That are Toxic to Pets

8 Pretty Flowers That are Toxic to Pets

It’s officially Spring, which means flowers are starting to bloom! As pretty as fresh florals can be, pet owners should be careful about which ones they let their pets sniff. Many common flowers can actually be pretty toxic to cats and dogs. Here are some flowers that are toxic to pets to keep an eye out for!

 

Lilies

There are several species of lilies that are poisonous to both cats and dogs. Some species such as Peace, Peruvian, and Calla have oxalate crystals in them, which cause irritation in the mouth, tongue, and throat. Other species such as Asiatic, Day, Easter, and Tiger are even more toxic and can result in kidney failure.

 

 

Daffodils

This sunny flower is common in the springtime, but they’re not great for your pets. Daffodils contain strong alkaline substances that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and even cardiac arrhythmia.

 

 

Azalea and Rhododendron

Fun fact: Did you know that in ancient times, some communities would feed their enemies honey from bees who frequented azalea and rhododendron plants as it caused confusion and vomiting? It turns out it’s not so great for pets either! Ingesting these flowers can cause vomiting or your pet to go into toxic shock.

 

 

Tulips

Tulips are one of the most popular flowers in the world, but they’re also incredibly toxic. The bulbs of tulips contain Tulipalin A & B, which can cause intense vomiting, depression, diarrhea, hypersalivation, drooling, and lack of appetite. So keep an eye out for them!

 

 

Poinsettias

These flowers are more common during the winter months as they’re a common Christmas decoration, but they’re not very merry when ingested. The white milky sap in poinsettia leaves are the toxic parts, and eating it can cause vomiting and drooling.

 

 

Hydrangeas

These colorful flowers contain cyanogenic glycosides in their leaves and flowers. When ingested by cats and dogs, this can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy/depression. Like all toxic plants, if your pet ingests these flowers and starts showing symptoms contact emergency vet services immediately.

 

 

Crocus

These vibrant flowers are pretty to look at, but make sure your pet doesn’t eat them! There are two types of crocuses, spring crocuses which can cause vomiting and diarrhea, and late blooming crocuses which are much worse. These can prompt renal failure, even in humans!

 

 

Foxgloves

These purple planets are pretty toxic for pets when ingested! They contain cardiac glycosides, which affect the heart. All parts of this plant are considered toxic, including the water in the vase. It can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, abnormal heart rate, cardiac arrhythmias, weakness, tremors, seizures, cardiac failure, and even death.

 

 

Final Thoughts

Fresh flowers are always great, whether they’re in a pretty vase at home or blooming outside. Pet owners need to always keep an eye on their cats and dogs when around flowers and plants. Never let them ingest anything without knowing if it is safe or not. If you believed your pet has ingested something toxic, contact your vet immediately and keep a close eye on them!

 

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about raw feed or our tasty raw meals!